Monday, November 16, 2009

Tied Up In Knots


It's the little things, really. I put new shoelaces in my boots yesterday, since I've been fighting with a frayed lace for a while, and the boots would loosen up while we were out riding. Last evening's ride was bliss, and the boots stayed snug and comfortable.

Have I mentioned that I'm nerdy? Not as nerdy as the dude who built this site, but still...the link takes you to the way I laced the boots this time, because I felt creative.

Makes me wish I had taller boots, let me tell you.

When I was a wee lad, three things frustrated my child's mind. First, and very early on, was tying my shoes. I could read at a 4th grade level entering Kindergarten, but heaven forbid I should ever have to take my shoes off. I may have known by that age how to do it, but it wasn't much before that.

Second was the whole bicycle-riding thing. Mainly because I'd get hand-me-down bikes, or things my dad would buy from the police auction, bikes I had to grow into. Difficult to balance when your center of gravity is suddenly high above the center.

Finally, was subtraction. Third-grade subtraction killed me.

Now I'm a motorcycle rider who ties his own shoes and does math in his head. How's that for progress?

4 comments:

Stuart said...

There's a patented way to tie shoes? Who knew?

wv - dedista: that pale, gaunt cadaveresque kid making your morning latte

Bev said...

You've come a long way, baby!

Elliott said...

Stuart, thanks! Makes me want to go to Starbucks...but not that much.

Bev, does this mean I need to start smoking Virginia Slims? Do they still make Virginia Slims? It's been 15 years since I worked at the gas station, I have no clue what brands are left.

Sarah the Author said...

Don't take up smoking, Elliott. It's gotten too expensive, because smokers, God bless 'em, are paying taxes to support the rest of us! I support a smoker's right to smoke! (Even in bars and restaurants....GASP!)

Be nice and share!

Bookmark and Share