Sunday, November 8, 2009

The Airing of the Grievances

A lot of people in this country pooh-pooh Australian table wines.
I'm okay with this. My experience with Australian wine, though not quite as disparaging as Monty Python's depiction, has not been good. And despite the existence of some fine quality low-priced wines on the market, I'm disappointed with what many of the big box vintners have to offer from down under.
In particular, I'm bothered by Yellowtail's aggressive marketing campaigns, trying to convince us that antifreeze and window cleaner are respectable wines.
What brought about this rant was their latest set of television ads, designed to fool the uninformed that their wines are tantamount to romance (hey, we both like crap wine, let's get married!), and evocative of the foothills of Tuscany.
Granted, two blokes named Bruce quoting Mick Dundee lines ("That's not a knife, that's a knife!") isn't going to make the vinoscenti go moist in their knickers. But what happened to truth in advertising laws?
Sure, if you're of the school that no publicity is bad publicity, this post is surely counter to my plan to warn you away from this swill. And I'm sure there are some high-quality wines coming out of Tasmania and New South Wales. For example, find yourself one of Mollydooker's bottles.
I guess the moral here is not to believe everything you see or hear, and to follow your own tastes and opinions.
As long as they don't run contrary to mine, because that would be wrong.

1 comment:

Bev said...

I like a good Australian shiraz, but I agree -- Yellowtale is disgusting!

Be nice and share!

Bookmark and Share