Sunday, July 26, 2009

Dinnertime - Chicken Curry


In case you haven't figured this out by now, I am not a photographer, that's Lori's job. I am only allowed to use a camera if I promise not to pass my shots off as photography. Obviously, I'm not a food stylist, either. I regret the cilantro on the picture above, but since I ate this soon after I took the shot, there wasn't the opportunity for a do-over.


However, when it comes to flavor, this is a winner. Lori and I love the flavors of India, but it gets pricey going out - mainly because I want to order everything on the menu. In fact, given the opportunity, I would have made some paneer saag to go along with this, it's one of my favorites.

Indian food gives me the opportunity to work with a dozen or more ingredients without feeling guilty, since so much good food is simple. However, the layers of flavor in an Indian-style dish cry out for this.

1 star anise
1 shallot or half a small onion
3 cloves garlic
1 Tbsp grated ginger
1 Tbsp curry powder
1 Tbsp red Thai curry paste
large handful fresh cilantro
1 large jalapeno pepper
1 Tbsp coriander seed
1 Tbsp mustard seed
12 oz canned tomatoes or tomato puree

Combine Blend to a smooth puree. If you want less heat, you can seed the jalapeno or even put in half - or you can add a second one for see-through-time heat.

1 Tbsp vegetable oil
4 chicken breasts or 8 thighs, skinless and boneless, chopped
1 red onion, sliced into strips
8 oz plain yogurt


In a large skillet, heat the oil and add chopped chicken. Brown on both sides, then add onion. Once onions are soft, add curry sauce and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer while you cook rice to accompany the dish. (Did you miss the note about 'see-through-time hot'?)

Just before serving, stir yogurt into the curry and heat through. Serve over rice and accompany with naan or other flatbread.

Makes 4 servings. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Samsmama said...

I'm so freaking full right now I'm not even sure I can read this. Looks great though!

Bev said...

THAT looks amazing. I love Indian food. I have a kick-ass recipe for Chicken Tikka Masala if you're interested. The only prob (for me, a lazy bitch) is that it takes a looooong time to prepare. But it's worth it, esp. if you lika de spice.

Elliott said...

I don't mind the occasional lengthy prep, since it's usually worth it and I'd love your recipe.

What I love about this is that prep time was probably 30 minutes start to finish, and I could probably mix up large batches of the sauce, freeze it in serving-size portions and thaw it when I want it. I'm anxious to do this with shrimp, too.

Bev said...

Ok, I'll email it to you! :)

(Smiley face... because I am a 12-year-old girl!)

Be nice and share!

Bookmark and Share