Sunday, September 20, 2009

Dinnertime - th-th-th-th-th-th-th-that's pork, folks!

Not surprisingly, we were watching television the other night, and as usual, I found the nerdiest thing possible to watch. Apparently, despite efforts to control the spread of feral hogs in the U.S., we're being overrun. There are currently approximately six million of these beasts becoming increasingly aggressive in as many as 40 states. Efforts to control them have had minimal effect at best. (And because I'm watching For Your Eyes Only as I type this, it becomes tempting to put my pinky to the edge of my mouth when I say 'six million', a la Dr. Evil.)

In order to do my part (since these hogs are, after all, in Florida, and I can't expect the Burmese pythons to take care of them), I'm posting TWO pork recipes this week.
Apricot Curry Pork Chops

8 boneless pork loin chops, approximately one pound total weight
2 Tbsp apricot preserves
1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
1 Tbsp curry powder
1/2 Tbsp cinnamon
1 red pepper, cut into strips
2 Tbsp white vinegar
1 Tbsp lemon juice

Fry pork chops in minimal oil until brown on both sides, then hold in a 180-degree oven. Add apricots, preserves, red pepper and one tablespoon of white vinegar to the saute pan. Once the preserves are softened, add curry powder and cinnamon. Cook until peppers and apricots are soft, then add remaining vinegar and lemon juice. Simmer until sauce is thickened, then add pork chops back to pan. This can be served with rice, I chose to make steamed bok choy and baked potatoes.

Makes four servings

Pork chops with fried apples

4 thick-cut boneless loin chops, 6-8 oz each
4 granny smith apples
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp vegetable oil

Heat butter and oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Sear the fatty edge of the pork chops in the pan until golden, then flip to opposite edge. Core, slice and add apples to pan, cover and reduce heat to medium-low. After 10 minutes, remove cover and raise heat to reduce juices, flipping chops to one face for two minutes, then flipping to other side to finish. Serve with egg noodles. I also had a nice Spanish white that I bought a number of years ago that added a nice citrus note to the meal.

Makes another four servings.

Now, of course, if you happen to get a whole hog, you'll need a few extra apricots or apples, but it would be worth it.

3 comments:

That Kind of Girl said...

Oh man, pork chops and fried apples sound so drool-worthy. And pork chops are on sale at Stop&Shop this week! I'm so making this for dinner tomorrow.

Bev said...

Yum, those both look excellent! And look at you, drinking a lovely white with your pork! It really classes up the joint.

Elliott said...

TKOG, on-sale pork chops are the next best thing to free pork chops. Go for it! Please let me know how it goes.

Bev, it embarrasses me that I pulled the bottle from the wine fridge in my dark little office and didn't even realize it was a white until I was in the kitchen. I'd say, conservatively, that 47 of the other 50 bottles in there are reds, so this was a happy surprise. Lori's on board with wine every week, so you'll be seeing more of this.

Be nice and share!

Bookmark and Share