Monday, November 8, 2010

Monday Night at the Movies - Couldn't care less about the five nine I'm blowin'

As many films as I've seen through the years, it has become increasingly rare for me to see them in an actual movie theater.  Now with the DVR, I'm even less inclined to go pay $9 to sit in an uncomfortable chair while wearing pants and abstaining from alcohol.  However, my local theater is actually local now, just a few minutes up the road instead of half an hour or 28 stop lights away, and apparently Mondays offer matinee pricing all day.  I might be able to sit through a few more films if they only cost me $5.

We saw RED on Saturday, and while I hoped for more, it was still enjoyable.  And I suppose, what kind of depth of character should I expect from a comic book?  I'll take character development if they want to give it to me, but I certainly don't expect it.

It was an overwhelmingly fun movie weekend for me, besides our little outing to the theater.  Caught an old Agatha Christie suspense film yesterday morning, and followed it up with the Rodriguez/Tarantino 'Grindhouse' double-feature that I recorded off of IFC past my bedtime Saturday night.  Gory, yet amusing.  And it included a 'trailer' for Machete, with Johnny Trejo.  That trailer was made in '07, and Rodriguez has now actually made the movie.  It's on the must-see list. 


Slightly more depressing is the news that Mad Max 4 has been pushed back indefinitely.  This makes me sad since it was to be shot in the same outback hills as Mad Max 1 and 2, and I was waiting impatiently.  They've modified the Interceptor a little, but that just makes it cooler.

And we really need a new movie quote.  Since we haven't done this in months, it's only fair we review the rules, right, children?  Your goal is to guess the original source of the quote below.  No Google or other web searches, you should know the quote by yourself. This is specifically to identify the original source of the quote as well, no characters quoting other movies, and certainly no movies within movies. Should you guess the quote correctly, you'll win the people's fame and ovation forever, along with the title of 'Iron Quote Guesser', along with all associated accolades. Now, onto the quote of the week:

Our survival hinges on one thing - finding someone who not only can fly this plane, but didn't have fish for dinner.
(Which is technically two things, I think, but that's how the quote reads.  Can't help it if it's wrong.) 

Allez guessing, mes enfants!

6 comments:

Frank Irwin said...

The previews to Red looked really bad; just to silly for me (if you can imagine that). My sister really liked it, though, and your more than tepid review makes me put it on my "will go to if asked" list.

Elliott said...

It's certainly not a suspense thriller, but I'm sure it's one of those that I'll get sucked into every time it's on TV now.

Of course, there are a few other Bruce Willis movies that have the same effect on me...not sure what that says about me. Or if I should be worried.

L G said...

Airplane, of course. Alas, I do not speak Jive but that wasn't a requirement for flying the plane.

Elliott said...

Oooh, so close...but not quite - though I may end up giving you half a point if nobody guesses correctly.

It's an entirely different movie altogether.

Bev said...

I was gonna say Airplane too, but since that's not right I'll go with Airport.

Regarding this:

"Now with the DVR, I'm even less inclined to go pay $9 to sit in an uncomfortable chair while wearing pants and abstaining from alcohol."

I've never felt closer to you. ;)

I don't know a thing about Red, but I'm glad you liked it! I'm sure I'll see it when it comes on cable. Probably. Maybe.

Nej said...

Oh crap!! And I knew this one too!!! See what I get for not keeping up on my blog reading?!?!?!?!?! :-)

Be nice and share!

Bookmark and Share